Need guidance? Get messages from your and your Twin Flame's higher self on the
Twin Flame Oracle app, with 108 messages to support and guide you on your journey.
Download the free app in the Apple app or Google Play store.
If you rather hear the article being read through automated software, you can listen here:
It turns out to be a Twin Flame book after all
I recently reread the Alchemist for the seventh time. It is my all time favorite book, although it crossed my path in the most peculiar way. My soulmate ex-husband said I HAD to read it after he had gotten a copy from the woman he was secretly having an affair with for the largest part of our marriage. Somehow the fact that this book came to me in such a weird way never stopped me from falling in love with the content.
To be honest, it actually helped me understand and process that whole experience at that time (around 2004), which was also a major past live being played out between the three of us and a baby soul that had been with us in that past life and in this life was born to me again, only to die 13 days later of a very rare birth defect called the malformation of the vein of Galen.
Now as you might have read I was raised in a spiritual community where the words Twin Soul and Twin Flame were as common as peanut butter and jelly. So the concept of Twin Flames was not at all new to me. I had met my own Twin Flame in 2014 and had reread the book again in 2015 before I gave it to my twin for his 27th birthday. Still for some odd reason it wasn’t until I reread the book the 7th time, that it hit me that this book was indeed about Twin Flames and that it actually talked about Twin Souls.
The difference being, that this time I was rereading the book from the Twin Flame perspective.
The alchemy of love
Each time I had read the book before, I had appreciated all of the valuable teachings and golden nuggets of wisdom that it contained but more on the level of manifesting, living your dreams and alchemy. During my soulmate marriage I was very much into reading about Alchemy, Sacred Marriage and the alchemy of love. The four stages being nigredo (blackness), albedo (whiteness), citrinitas (yellowing) and rubedo (redness). This last stage rubedo symbolizing the marriage of the Red King and White Queen in Alchemy.
Jay Ramsay in his book the Crucible of Love describes the Alchemical stages of love and when you look closely you will see that they have a strong resemblance to the most often noted Twin Flame stages:
- Light, recognition first love, falling in love conuinctio ‘the relationship we recognize’
- Into the Black descending nigredo ‘the relationship we dread’
- Whitening purifying solutio ‘the relationship we dream of’
- Yellowing/Green grounding coagulatio separation, differentiation (the Desert Journey) ‘the relationship we fear and resist’
- Reddening/Purple/Gold union, synthesis (‘as above, so below’) the Wedding rubedo ‘love’s relationship with us’
Looks pretty familiar doesn’t it? And it makes perfect sense because the whole process of alchemy is the turning of lead into gold, which is symbolic for moving from the ego identification (lead) into the soul identification (gold). This is also what the Twin Flame process does, it purifies you to the core – until there is nothing left but your essential nature.
Now at that time I was hell bent on trying to manifest this in my soul mate relationship, thinking that true love can be manifested with everyone – that didn’t work out that well hence we divorced within 7 years of which we were only together one year. But this soulmate marriage did prepare me for my Twin Flame encounter and journey in many ways, with one of them bringing to me this book that I will now dive into with you from the Twin Flame perspective.
Identifying the main characters in the book
- Santiago (the boy) – symbolizes you the traveler embracing the journey. Pursuing your personal destiny and following your heart to live your dream
- The merchants daughter – represents karmic relationships. Relationships that look good on paper, but are based on ego needs and wants and not on true love
- Melchizedek, the king of Salem – a wise old man, who knows the past and appears to know the future symbolizes the never ending support of the Universe on your journey and the signs and hunches it gives you to lead you to your destiny. “And, when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.”
- The first robber – symbolizes negative thinking and doubts. Overcoming a victim mentality. he realized that he had to choose between thinking of himself as the poor victim of a thief and as an adventurer in quest of his treasure. “I’m an adventurer, looking for treasure,” he said to himself.
- The crystal shop owner – symbolizes those Twin Flames who want the fantastic love affair but are not willing to do the work, afraid that reality will never be as good as their imagination. This is also because they have this romantic idea of what they thought Twin Flames were going to be when they are constantly being triggered to grow and step out of their comfort zone. This leads them to see their twin connection more as a curse, instead of the blessing it is. When the boy left, the crystal shop had in one year transformed into a thriving successful business. I just want to dream about Mecca. I’ve already imagined a thousand times crossing the dessert, arriving at the Plaza of the Sacred Stone, the seven times I walk around it before allowing myself to touch it. I’ve already imagined the people who would be at my side, and those in front of me, and the conversations and prayers we would share. But I’m afraid that it would all be a disappointment, so I prefer just to dream about it.
- The English man – represents all the Twin Flames going in circles for years reading everything there is about Twin Flames, knowing all there is to know but not applying this knowledge afraid to fail and never have it. “It was my fear of failure that first kept me from attempting the Master Work. Now, I’m beginning what I could have started ten years ago. But I’m happy at least that I didn’t wait twenty years”
- The camel driver – symbolizes the valuable lessons learned while crossing the desert, the desert representing Twin Flame separation. The camel driver is all about having faith and one of the most important concepts this character introduces is what truly having faith looks like when you live it. “We are afraid of losing what we have, whether it’s our life or our possessions and property. But this fear evaporates when we understand that our life stories and the history of the world were written by the same hand.” It‘s this fear of loss that makes most Twin Flames resist the separation time and not make the shift to the absolute faith in Maktub (it is written) the certainty that some things are “meant to be.” The firm belief in a steadfast, universal plan behind all things
- Fatima – She is introduced with this text: “It was the pure Language of the World. It required no explanation, just as the universe needs none as it travels through endless time. What the boy felt at that moment was that he was in the presence of the only woman in his life, and that, with no need for words, she recognized the same thing. He was more certain of it than of anything in the world. He had been told by his parents and grandparents that he must fall in love and really know a person before becoming committed. But maybe people who felt that way had never learned the universal language. Because, when you know that language, it’s easy to understand that someone in the world awaits you, whether it’s in the middle of the desert or in some great city. And when two such people encounter each other, and their eyes meet, the past and the future become unimportant. There is only that moment, and the incredible certainty that everything under the sun has been written by one hand only. It is the hand that evokes love, and creates a twin soul for every person in the world. Without such love, one’s dreams would have no meaning.” Fatima represents the Twin Flame and the Divine feminine fully healed. She embodies unconditional love and instead of getting jealous or insecure, she tells him that she’ll wait for him because she is a “desert woman” who is used to waiting. She believes that if she and Santiago are intended to be together, he will return to her. This relieves her of the anxiety of his departure, because she trusts that what is “written” will come to pass. If he does not return, it is because their love was not intended to be eternal and true. “Maktub,” she said. “If I am really a part of your dream, you’ll come back one day.“
- The Alchemist – represents the spirit guide(s) that are sent to help you not only on your Twin Flame journey but above all guide you into living your personal legend, your life purpose and soul mission. The Alchemist tells Santiago he has to find his treasure so that his quest is complete, and so that everything he has learned already – will make sense. He warns the boy that if he does not fulfill his own full potential he will not be able to fully enjoy his life and all that he has acquired. It is the Twin Flame journey and all the lessons learned including living your soul purpose that elevates the relationship with the twin above normal 3d romantic relationships, all this combined is the true treasure. “Let me tell you what will happen. You’ll be the counselor of the oasis …You’ll marry Fatima, and you’ll both be happy for a year…. And you’ll get better and better at understanding omens, because the desert is the best teacher there is…. Sometime during the second year, you’ll remember about the treasure. The omens will begin insistently to speak of it, and you’ll try to ignore them…During the third year, the omens will continue to speak of your treasure and your destiny. You’ll walk around, night after night, at the oasis, and Fatima will be unhappy because she’ll feel it was she who interrupted your quest. But you will love her, and she’ll return your love… So you won’t blame her. But many times you’ll walk the sands of the desert, thinking that maybe you could have left… that you could have trusted more in your love for Fatima. Because what kept your at the oasis was your own fear that you might never come back. At that point, the omens will tell you that your treasure is buried forever…. Then, sometime during the fourth year, the omens will abandon you, because you’ve stopped listening to them. The tribal chieftains will see that, and you’ll be dismissed from your position as counselor… You’ll spend the rest of your days knowing that you didn’t pursue your destiny, and that now it’s too late.”
Valuable lessons for on the Twin Flame journey
Throughout the boys quest he learns valuable lessons while living his personal legend and searching for his treasure. I have highlighted some of the most important lessons learned from a Twin Flame perspective.
#1 Follow your intuition
“Take these,” said the old man, holding out a white stone and a black stone that had been embedded at the center of the breastplate. “They are called Urim and Thummim. The black signifies ‘yes,’ and the white ‘no.’ When you are unable to read the omens, they will help you to do so. Always ask an objective question.
“But, if you can, try to make your own decisions.”
Twin Flame takeaway – The problem is if you don’t trust yourself and your intuition, you will constantly be looking towards others and all forms of divination (tarot cards, psychics, etc) to tell you how to interpret your reality, the signs and in the end what decisions to make. But because you don’t dare to trust your own inner promptings, you often don’t dare to trust the signs and omens or the guidance you are receiving, resulting in hours wasted in seeking outer confirmation over and over, which only makes you feel more and more insecure. Keeping you from really pursuing your path, because your indecision immobilizes you.
#2 We create our own reality
“And, when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.”
But he was able to understand one thing: making a decision was only the beginning of things. When someone makes a decision, he is really diving into a strong current that will carry him to places he had never dreamed of when he first made the decision.
Twin Flame takeaway – It is the decisions we make that create our reality and shift us onto the timelines and realities in which we manifest our desires as physical experiences. Just like in any other area of your life, the Universe has your back on the Twin Flame journey and is literally conspiring to help you achieve Twin Flame union. Download the Inner Union Soul Alchemy manuscript if you want to know more about why the Universe is extra psyched about bringing twins together.
#3 Live your personal legend
One’s Personal Legend is what you have always wanted to accomplish. Everyone, when they are young, knows what their Personal Legend is. “At that point in their lives, everything is clear and everything is possible. They are not afraid to dream, and to yearn for everything they would like to see happen to them in their lives. But, as time passes, a mysterious force begins to convince them that it will be impossible for them to realize their Personal Legend….whoever you are, or whatever it is that you do, when you really want something, it’s because that desire originated in the soul of the universe. It’s your mission on earth.
Twin Flame takeaway – Just like Santiago we are tempted to think that Twin Flame love is THE treasure and while it is part of the treasure – it is incomplete without us truly becoming who we are meant to be. As the section about the character the Alchemist explains, until you have also stepped into your personal legend – your unique soul mission, you will not be able to reach your full potential and enjoy the lasting fruits of your labor. You need to become who you are destined to be and not be afraid to lose the love that is yours, when you step into your personal power and destiny.
#4 Shifting out of victim mentality
I’m going to become bitter and distrustful of people because one person betrayed me. I’m going to hate those who have found their treasure because I never found mine. And I’m going to hold on to what little I have, because I’m too insignificant to conquer the world.
The hills of Andalusia were only two hours away, but there was an entire desert between him and the Pyramids. Yet the boy felt that there was another way to regard this situation: he was actually two hours closer to his treasure … the fact that the two hours had stretched into an entire year didn’t matter.
He looked around at the empty plaza again, feeling less desperate than before. This wasn’t a strange place; it was a new one…he had already traveled farther than any shepherd he knew. Oh, if they only knew how different things are just two hours by ship from where they are, he thought….As he mused about these things, he realized that he had to choose between thinking of himself as the poor victim of a thief and as an adventurer in quest of his treasure. “I’m an adventurer, looking for treasure,” he said to himself.
Twin Flame takeaway – When you shift your perception you can choose to see the positive in every situation, instead of the negative. You can choose to be the victim or the hero in your experience. Santiago realizes that the only way to move forward and not go backwards or stay stuck, is to shift his perception of what is happening in his reality. Many Twin Flames go backwards or stay stuck because they see themselves as a victim, instead of an adventurer on a quest for a treasure (manifesting heaven on earth). They take what happens on their journey and the behavior of their twin towards them, personally – which keeps them stuck in the role of victim. Every disaster holds in itself a blessing, if you look at it in the right way. Most important takeaway here is DON’T TAKE THINGS PERSONALLY.
#5 See the blessing instead of the curse
If we serve tea in the crystal, the shop is going to expand. And then I’ll have to change my way of life.” / Boy: “Well, isn’t that good?” / Crystal Merchant: “I’m already used to the way things are. Before you came, I was thinking about how much time I had wasted in the same place, while my friends had moved on, and either went bankrupt or did better than they had before. It made me very depressed. Now, I can see that it hasn’t been too bad. The shop is exactly the size I always wanted it to be. I don’t want to change anything, because I don’t know how to deal with change. I’m used to the way I am.” The boy didn’t know what to say. The old man continued, “You have been a real blessing to me. Today, I understand something I didn’t see before: every blessing ignored becomes a curse. I don’t want anything else in life. But you are forcing me to look at wealth and horizons I have never known. Now that I have seen them, and now that I see how immense my possibilities are, I’m going to feel worse than I did before you arrived. Because I know the things I should be able to accomplish, and I don’t want to do so.”
Twin Flame takeaway – Like I explained the crystal shop owner represents the Twin Flame that wants the dream but doesn’t really want to do the work to realize it. One of the most important lessons we can learn here is that even though our twin challenges us, moves us out of our comfort zone and literally forces us to grow (mentally, emotionally an spiritually) in the end, we find ourselves in a much better place then before our twin entered our life. When we fail to see this, when we cling to the idea of being a victim – we will only be able to perceive our reality and the Twin Flame connection as a curse. This applies even more to those who over-romanticize the Twin Flame experience and then feel disappointed because they don’t realize that this relationship is meant to be so much more than a romantic love affair.
Download the Inner Union Soul Alchemy manuscript to find out why Meeting your Twin Flame is not just another ‘boy meets girl’ story.
#6 Enjoy the present
“I don’t live in either my past or my future. I’m interested only in the present. If you can concentrate always on the present, you’ll be a happy man. Life will be a party for you, a grand festival, because life is the moment we’re living now.”
“The secret is here in the present. If you pay attention to the present, you can improve upon it. And, if you improve on the present, what comes later will also be better.”
“I’m alive. When I’m eating that’s all I think about. If I’m on the march, I just concentrate on marching. If I have to fight, it will be just as good a day as any to die. If you can concentrate always on the present, you’ll be a happy man. Life is the moment we are living now.”
Twin Flame takeaway – Let’s be honest here, great parts of the Twin Flame journey are spent either on crying over the past or trying to look into the future to see when the twin will be back from a temporary or an indefinite separation. When we trust that the present moment is exactly as it should be, we can relax and enjoy that moment more fully. This raises our vibrational frequency and keeps us aligned to the physical manifestation of our heart’s desire.
Failing to be happy without your twin in your life in the way you want it, is in fact in some way still a form of co-dependency which does not vibe with the Twin Flame relationship blueprint. You need to be able to be happy with or without your twin.
#7 Trust God is taking care of the future
“If good things are coming, they will be a pleasant surprise,” said the seer. “If bad things are, and you know in advance, you will suffer greatly before they even occur.”
“I make my living forecasting the future for people,” he said. “I know the science of the twigs, and I know how to use them to penetrate to the place where all is written. There, I can read the past, discover what has already been forgotten, and understand the omens that are here in the present.
“When people consult me, it’s not that I’m reading the future; I am guessing at the future. The future belongs to God, and it is only he who reveals it, under extraordinary circumstances. How do I guess at the future? Based on the omens of the present. The secret is here in the present. If you pay attention to the present, you can improve upon it. And, if you improve on the present, what comes later will also be better. Forget about the future, and live each day according to the teachings, confident that God loves his children. Each day, in itself, brings with it an eternity”.
Twin Flame takeaway – Trying to see into the future is actually just another form of control and not trusting that the Universe is always looking out for you. It’s not the outcome that matters, but the journey towards it. Throughout his journey, Santiago makes an inventory each time of the many gifts that his journey has already brought him. The same applies for the Twin Flame journey, each stage has it’s own unique gifts that prove to be immense blessings once you have gone through the experience. If you knew your twin might not talk to you for a year, you might decide to give up now because you could not imagine yourself surviving the pain of this experience. But then you would miss the beautiful gifts that Twin Flame separation has to offer and the realization of your dream, the union with your twin. The only way to unlock these gifts is to let go and surrender and really trust that the Universe has your back, no matter what challenge you might be facing.
#8 Recognize true love
“You have told me about your dreams, about the old king and your treasure. And you’ve told me about omens. So now, I fear nothing, because it was those omens that brought you to me. And I am a part of your dream, a part of your destiny, as you call it.
“That’s why I want you to continue toward your goal. If you have to wait until the war is over, then wait. But if you have to go before then, go on in pursuit of your dream. The dunes are changed by the wind, but the desert never changes. That’s the way it will be with our love for each other.
“Maktub,” she said. “If I am really a part of your dream, you’ll come back one day.”
The boy was sad as he left her that day. He thought of all the married shepherds he had known. They had a difficult time convincing their wives that they had to go off into distant fields. Love required them to stay with the people they loved.
“You must understand that love never keeps a man from pursuing his destiny. If he abandons that pursuit, it’s because it wasn’t true love… the love that speaks the Language of the World. If what one finds is made of pure matter, it will never spoil. And one can always come back. If what you had found was only a moment of light, like the explosion of a star, you would find nothing on your return.” The man was speaking the language of alchemy. But the boy knew that he was referring to Fatima.
Twin Flame takeaway – If it is true love, it’s not gonna go anywhere. It will always be there when you return. On the Twin Flame journey we need to have the courage, especially the Divine feminine to trust that the Divine masculine will always come back to us. One of the major blocks that are keeping us stuck in mediocrity is the fear of loss. You need to have faith that if your twin and you are meant to be, it will happen. You don’t need to do anything to force, manipulate or push it into being. You cannot lose the love of your twin, the only way to really find out if it is true love is by REALLY (not pretending, while energetically clutching onto them for dear life) being willing to let them go.
#9 Listen to your heart
“Listen to your heart. It knows all things, because it came from the Soul of the World, and it will one day return there.”
“Because, wherever your heart is, that is where you’ll find your treasure.”
“My heart is a traitor,” the boy said to the alchemist, when they had paused to rest the horses. “It doesn’t want me to go on.”
“That makes sense,” the alchemist answered. “Naturally it’s afraid that, in pursuing your dream, you might lose everything you’ve won.”
“Well, then, why should I listen to my heart?”
“Because you will never again be able to keep it quiet. Even if you pretend not to have heard what it tells you, it will always be there inside you, repeating to you what you’re thinking about life and about the world.”
As he was about to climb yet another dune, his heart whispered, “Be aware of the place where you are brought to tears. That’s where I am, and that’s where your treasure is.”
Twin Flame takeaway – The scariest part of the Twin Flame journey is listening to your heart and not knowing for sure you can trust on what it is saying. Not knowing for sure if it will lead you to the realization of your dreams (your treasure). Being afraid that it will bring you to suffer or even worse point you in the wrong way. But as the Alchemist explains, you have to live with your heart so you better learn how to trust it.
Many twins are afraid they are just imagining things or deluding themselves, especially when the other twin acts in certain ways or says they don’t requite the love the other feels so deeply. It takes a lot of guts to really dare to listen to your heart and to follow it’s promptings, but it really is the ONLY one to guide you to your treasure.
#10 Release the fear of suffering
“Intense, unexpected suffering passes more quickly than suffering that is apparently bearable; the latter goes on for years and, without our noticing, eats away at our souls, until, one day, we are no longer able to free ourselves from the bitterness and it stays with us for the rest of our lives.”
“Tell your heart that the fear of suffering is worse than the suffering itself. And that no heart has ever suffered when it goes in search of its dreams, because every second of the search is a second’s encounter with God and with eternity.”
Twin Flame takeaway – It is our fear of suffering that makes us suffer the worst and this also applies to the Twin Flame journey, that can be filled with a lot of drama. This drama is nothing more then the triggering of old wounding from this life and past lifetimes. The wounding has been there for a long time which has made you suffer without knowing why. Granted embracing the wound and healing it, might cause a quick and intense feeling of suffering but after that it is gone forever and you will notice you will suffer less and less as you heal more and more.
Do you want to get serious about cleaning up your subconscious and past life wounding that is keeping you and your twin out of harmony? Book a Twin Flame Reunion journey with me. The more you cleanse your energetic force field of past emotional residue, attracting to you people and situation that match that vibration – the more you free yourself to create the reality you WANT to be living. You will clear up the energies that are now creating crosscurrents which cancel out your conscious efforts to manifest the reality you dream of. This allows you to clear out karma instead of having to play it out in your reality.
It is this playing out of your karma that brings the deepest suffering, especially when you take what is happening in your reality personally instead of seeing it as an opportunity to heal even deeper.
#11 Before you realize your dream, you will be severely tested
“What you still need to know is this: before a dream is realized, the Soul of the World tests everything that was learned along the way. It does this not because it is evil, but so that we can, in addition to realizing our dreams, master the lessons we’ve learned as we’ve moved toward that dream. That’s the point at which, as we say in the language of the desert, one ‘dies of thirst just when the palm trees have appeared on the horizon.’
“Every search begins with beginner’s luck. And every search ends with the victor’s being severely tested.” The boy remembered an old proverb from his country. It said that the darkest hour of the night came just before the dawn.
Twin Flame takeaway – The closer you get to realizing your dream, the more difficult things become. When Santiago leaves the oasis to travel to the Pyramids in Egypt, he has to cross the desert during a tribal war. As he comes closer to his destination he and the Alchemist get arrested by one of the tribes at war. The only way out is if the boy learns to turn himself into the wind, which seems an impossible task. The tests become more difficult, not because the Universe does not want you to succeed – but because the Universe wants you to become aware of everything that you have learned along the way of moving towards your dream. When this happens know that these test come, because you are ready and you are only being asked to put into practice what you have learned.
But above all know that when you are at this part of the journey, the Universe is about to bring you the manifestation of your dream, despite outer appearances. Just keep the faith.
I pray this article helps you see the Twin Flame journey in a different perspective, so that you can make it the adventure of a lifetime – that it is meant to be. You are an adventurer on the quest of finding your treasure, pay attention to the signs and omens you are getting.
“In order to find the treasure, you will have to follow the omens. God has prepared a path for everyone to follow. You just have to read the omens that he left for you.”
Want to hook up with some mutual travelers on this great adventure? Become a member of our Online Twin Community with Twin Flames spread out over the world, supporting and rooting you on in your Twin Flame journey.
Lots of love,